I offer practical and emotional support to the new mother and father in the home following the birth of the baby. My work is about empowering a family to take care of itself and I facilitate this by helping mothers to relax, enjoy their baby and find their own way of mothering. With the help of a postnatal doula a mother can enjoy some of the benefits of a prolonged "lying in" period.
Postnatal doula support can help in the following ways:
- Time to bond with your baby and spend extra time with any older siblings.
- Support in establishing feeding with the new baby whichever method you choose.
- I make sure the family has supplies in the fridge and cupboards and am willing to do light housework.
- I can take the baby out while the mother gets some rest or has a relaxing bath.
- A listening ear whilst you debrief your birth experience or as a sounding board for your feelings about new motherhood.
This service can last a week or a few months depending on the what the family needs. Most families ask a postnatal doula to pop in for a few hours a day, for 2 or 3 days out of the week. I do request a minimum of 3 hours at a time or 2 hours if you live close, but apart from that hours per week are flexible.